Nepal Charity Trek
Steve and Tasha’s Charity Manaslu Trek in Nepal
Tasha and I really enjoyed our trip to Nepal. We travelled to Kathmandu where we spent 3 days finalising our preparations and purchasing the remaining school and medical supplies we were due to deliver during our journey.
Tasha and I were very excited to join Near Howe Regular Val Pitkethly on our charity trek to the Manaslu region of Nepal.
Val is an inspiring person, and a very experienced leader of treks in both Nepal and Peru, and was instrumental in the creation of the Light Education Development charity.
As an accomplished climber, Val became the first Canadian to reach the summit of Manaslu, which at 8,156m is the 8th highest mountain in the world. We were in extremely safe hands, and am pleased to say that we only went to just over 5,000m ourselves!
During the trek between 30th September and 25th October we distributed over 100 Solar Lights, together with School and Medical Supplies on behalf of the charity to some of the remotest villages in the area.
The cost of each solar light is $35 inclusive of transport and porterage.
We would like to thank everyone who has already made a donation; we are looking to continue to raise as much money as possible for this very worthwhile charity, and would like to ask you to consider making a donation by following this link.
Please note that we funded the trip ourselves, so all donations will go directly to the Charity. (Please make sure to check the gift aid box to add an additional 20% to your donation)
Thanks very much for taking an interest in our trek; we hope you will feel happy to support the charitable part of our adventure.
Manaslu in the Sun Rise, the 8th Highest Mountain in the World
Photos and Videos
Steve and Tasha’s Our Outline Itinerary
- Arrive in Kathmandu - stop 2 nights in the hills outside the city
- 2 days shopping for provisions in Kathmandu
- Sight-seeing trip round Boudhanath and Pashupati in Kathmandu
- Spend the last night in Thamel - Kathmandu
- Drive from Kathmandu to Arughat
- Swap to second bus to drive to Arkhet for a first nights camping
- Trek to Doban - probably over 2 days
- Trek to Philim and on to Bhi over 3 days
- Deliver some solar lights and school supplies here
- Trek to Lho 3,200m
- Trek to Samagaon 3,450m
- Deliver medical and school supplies spend some time in the school, all the local kids will be around and love any extra contact with someone who will help with English and games.
- Trek to Samdo 3,850m
- Spend a few days acclimatising here, visit the Tibetan border above the village, and spend time with Utan a local teacher who Val knows well. If possible and time allows we can help build a small greenhouse for them here.
- Trek to Dharamsala 4,400m
- Trek over Larkay La pass 5,200m and down to Bhimtang 3,900m
- Trek to Go and then out to road head near Chamje
- Drive back to Kathmandu